It's more than a blog; it's my blog.

Monday, July 16, 2007

SLUSHO It Is Then

Well, I just learned from my string of contacts (re: reading old news from Aintitcool.com) that the Ethan Haas stuff is actually part of the marketing push for a game from Mindstorm Labs, ALPHA OMEGA. All this makes me feel kind of like an idiotic sheep, since I had actually heard about ALPHA OMEGA somewhere, but completely pushed it out of my mind as soon as AICN connected CLOVERFIELDS with Ethan Haas and Cthulhu. I am but another victim of a media source's instigation of apophenia, and for that I feel... less confident. Less whole.

I feel a little like the scientists who tested Uri Gellar and numerous other "spoon-benders." The researchers thought they were seeing results that proved the existence of psychic phenomena because they simply could not conceive that the subject could be lying to them or tricking them. They were so used to the data being divorced from intent, to nature simply conforming to what nature does, that they couldn't anticipate that what was happening was anything other than what it claimed to be. They weren't frauds or con-artists, they were scientists - and so, they saw the world as scientists.

And that's me. I trusted AintItCoolNews because they've been my trusted source for "leakage" for a few years now, and because I figured that they had inside sources in most of the major studios - after all, some of the stuff that they've been able to find out has been remarkably on the mark. Now, I must learn to investigate further than one site's word when it comes to movies, as I do with other topics.

Damn, that seems like so much more work, and so much less fun, than just credulously repeating what I read on message boards as gospel. Why did you have to make the entertainment industry be subject to rigorous testing, AICN? I was happy in my blissful acceptance of anything you said.

In other random speculations, to show that I haven't learned my lesson one damn bit, Indiana Jones 4 is apparently titled "Indiana Jones and the Left-Overs From Stargate."

Labels: , , , ,

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

1 Comments:

At 17/7/07 8:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Well, I just learned from my string of contacts (re: reading old news from Aintitcool.com) that the Ethan Haas stuff is actually part of the marketing push for a game from Mindstorm Labs, ALPHA OMEGA."

To be clear, you'll note that AICN doesn't provide anything to back up their statement.

That's because AICN has done squat to establish the connection -- instead they've just seen that a number of us out here HAVE done the work to show the link, but they won't tell you that, so that if it turns out to be true, they can claim that AICN "reported" it first, which is bunk.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home